Immigration : 8594022222 | 8594033333

Study Abroad: 7592033333 | 7592044444

Federal Trade Worker Program

Home » Immigration Services » Migrate to Canada » Federal Trade Worker Program

Know about Federal Trade Worker Program

Those individuals who seek to become Permanent Residents of Canada, based on qualifications in a skilled trade can apply under the Federal Trade Worker Program.

The Express Entry system was introduced in January of 2015, to manage the application process under this program. For more information on this new system, see the “Federal Skilled Worker Program” and “Canada Immigration” pages of our website.

Application Requirements

There are some minimum requirements that must be met, in order to be eligible to apply under the Federal Trade Worker Program:
1. You plan on living outside the province of Quebec. Since the province of Quebec chooses its own skilled workers, if you plan to live in Quebec, see the “Quebec Skilled Immigration Program” for more information,
2. You meet the required levels in English or French for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing, and listening),
3. You have at least two years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience)* in a skilled trade within the five years before you apply.
4. You meet all job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC), and
5. You have an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least one year** OR a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a provincial or territorial body***

*“Full-time work” means at least 30 hours of work over a period of one week, or an equal amount in part-time, paid work experience. For example:

If you worked 15 hours per week in one job over four years, or
If you worked a total of 30 combined hours per week in more than one job over two years.

**Up to two employers can commit to employing you for at least one year of continuous full-time work, meaning at least 30 hours of work over a period of one week.

*** In Canada, only the provinces and territories can issue certificates of qualification in the skilled trades. To get this certificate, the respective provincial or territorial skilled trades authority must assess your training, trade experience, and skills to decide if you are eligible to write an exam to be certified. You will likely have to go to the province or territory to be assessed. You may also need an employer in Canada to give you experience and training.

Eligible Occupations

The following skilled trades are currently eligible for the Federal Skilled Trades Program:
Group A – Jobs with sub-caps of 100 applications each (and their corresponding 2011 NOC code)

  • 7202 Contractors and supervisors, electrical trades and telecommunications occupations
  • 7204 Contractors and supervisors, carpentry trades
  • 7205 Contractors and supervisors, other construction trades, installers, repairers and servicers
  • 7271 Carpenters
  • 7301 Contractors and supervisors, mechanic trades
  • 7302 Contractors and supervisors, heavy equipment operator crews
  • 8211 Supervisors, logging and forestry
  • 8221 Supervisors, mining and quarrying
  • 8222 Contractors and supervisors, oil and gas drilling services
  • 8241 Logging machinery operators
  • 8252 Agricultural service contractors, farm supervisors and specialized livestock workers
  • 9211 Supervisors, mineral and metal processing
  • 9212 Supervisors, petroleum, gas and chemical processing and utilities
  • 9214 Supervisors, plastic and rubber products manufacturing
  • 9231 Central control and process operators, mineral and metal processing
  • 9241 Power engineers and power systems operators
  • 9243 Water and waste treatment plant operators

Group B – no sub-caps (2011 NOC code)

  • 7231 Machinists and machining and tooling inspectors
  • 7233 Sheet metal workers
  • 7235 Structural metal and plate work fabricators and fitters
  • 7236 Ironworkersv
  • 7237 Welders and related machine operators
  • 7241 Electricians (except industrial and power system)
  • 7242 Industrial electricians
  • 7243 Power system electricians
  • 7244 Electrical power line and cable workers
  • 7245 Telecommunications line and cable workers
  • 7246 Telecommunications installation and repair workers
  • 7251 Plumbers
  • 7252 Steamfitters, pipefitters and sprinkler system installers
  • 7253 Gas fitters
  • 7311 Construction millwrights and industrial mechanics
  • 7312 Heavy-duty equipment mechanics
  • 7313 Refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics
  • 7314 Railway car men/women
  • 7315 Aircraft mechanics and aircraft inspectors
  • 7318 Elevator constructors and mechanics
  • 7371 Crane operators
  • 7372 Drillers and blasters – surface, mining, quarrying and construction
  • 7373 Water well drillers
  • 8231 Underground production and development miners
  • 8232 Oil and gas well drillers, servicers, testers and related workers
  • 9232 Petroleum, gas and chemical process operators

Note: For more information, it is recommended that you visit the website of the body that governs skilled trade for the province or territory where you would like to live and work. The process may vary, depending on your location.

Contact us to get free guidance.

Our Canada Immigration consultant can help you.

Our Study Abroad consultants at M&G is available on contact nos. +91 8594022222. You can also send your queries  to our email id-