Working Studying in Quebec
Home to Montreal, with the highest per capita student population of any city in Canada, the province of Quebec continues to attract international students in their droves.
At the cultural crossroads of North America and Europe, towns and cities across Quebec offer something special. Each year, Quebec’s various francophone and anglophone educational institutions welcome some 25,000 new foreign students. Diversity and opportunity are found in abundance in this unique learning environment.
Not only are students attracted to Quebec because of its vast range of study programs. They also come for the favourable tuition rates, ultramodern facilities, and stimulating living environment, not to mention the clear path to Canadian immigration available through the Quebec Experience Program. When considering Canada as your study destination, it is important to recognize the opportunities available in Quebec, particularly in the city of Montreal.
Montreal, Quebec City, Sherbrooke
Studying in Quebec: The Advantages
- Diplomas and degree obtained in Quebec are recognized internationally. Quebec ensures the quality of the programs offered in each of the public institutions of its educational system, through, among other things, legislation, the use of external assessment bodies, and by securing the agreement of professional orders.
- Students have a vast range of French and English programs of study to choose from, depending on the institution selected.
- Quebec’s institutions of higher learning, irrespective of their size and location, are equipped with ultramodern facilities such as high-tech labs, computer labs, sports facilities, and auditoriums.
- Tuition fees applicable to foreign students compare favourably to those in other industrialized countries, as well as to other Canadian provinces.
- The cost of living is among the lowest in Canada.
- Quebec has the best of urban living and rural beauty. In addition to its myriad lakes and rivers, a huge boreal forest, a fjord and a majestic seaway, Quebec has a multitude of national parks.
- International students have a clear pathway to permanent immigration to Canada and, eventually, citizenship.
Immigrate After Studying in Quebec
- Quebec Experience Program
- Quebec Skilled Worker Program
- Express Entry
Many international students who come to study in Quebec eventually become permanent residents of Canada through the Quebec Experience Class, also known as the Programme de l’expérience Québécoise, or PEQ.This program operates a stream dedicated to providing international students in Quebec with the opportunity to build their lives and careers in Quebec. Indeed, this is one of the most straightforward pathways for international students to immigrate to Canada permanently, as it does not require individuals to reach a point threshold and/or receive an invitation to apply.
If a student is finishing his or her studies in Quebec and holds a valid CAQ (Quebec Acceptance Certificate) and study permit, he or she may be eligible to apply through the Quebec Skilled Worker Program (QSWP). Candidates who have studied in Quebec must have completed at least one half of an eligible study program and be ready to enter the workforce. The QSWP uses a points-based system to assess applications of individuals who wish to settle in the province.
Candidates for immigration to Canada who have completed their education at a school in Quebec and ultimately wish to immigrate to another province or territory in Canada may do so through the federal Express Entry immigration selection system. Such individuals may be awarded a significant number of points on account of their high level of education. Moreover, international graduates of Canadian educational institutions may have obtained important Canadian work experience, another highly valued factor under the Express Entry system.